Here’s a video that brilliantly illustrates the rationality behind preferring Natural Family Planning (NFP) over artificial means of birth control.
In sum, chemical forms of birth control are harmful, because of the potential side effects, such as:
- Deep Vein Thrombosis and Pulmonary Emboli (potentially life-threatening blood clots)
- Cerebrovascular accidents (strokes)
- Myocardial Infarction (heart attack)
- Gallbladder disorder
In contrast, NFP should be preferred, because:
- It is sanctioned by the teaching of the Catholic Church (as opposed to birth control)
- It strengthens spousal relationships
- Women are less prone to being regarded as sex objects
- It is statistically proven to lower the risk of divorce
- It does not require a prescription
- It is relatively inexpensive compared to birth control because it costs nearly nothing
- It is truly natural and organic (as opposed to chemical birth control, which has numerous harmful side effects)
So from even a naturalistic standpoint, couples should prefer NFP to artificial birth control.
The ones provided at the end of the video:
Other sources for different locations:
- St Jude in Atlanta
- Archdiocese of New York (NY, NJ, CT)
- Archdiocese of Madison
- The Couple to Couple League
- USCCB NFP office
- Fertilitycare.org — Fertility Care Centers for America
- Please, add to our list (in the com-box below) by suggesting good NFP related centers in your area. Thanks!